There is no doubt that packing and relocating home is one of the most stressful experiences we can go through. This becomes more tricky if you are moving to a foreign countries and then you have to choose between various shipping companies.
Proper planning can really lower moving stress. How? By finding out about the best international shipping steps to take.
Here are some tips for approaching an international relocation:
- First of all do your research into the relocation area and context.
Next, it is strongly recommended that you get familiar with where you will be moving to. Presumably you know where you will be going and the area you will live in. Take some time to use tools like Google Maps if you can’t get there yourself.
- Try to prepare for what Customs issues or restrictions there might be?
- What is not appropriate in terms of local laws and societal norms?
- Will they allow my pets? What are the international shipping options for pets?
- Do I need all of my belongings when I move to my new international home?
- Secondly consider your packing.
At this point think about what items you need for your arrival. What items can arrive after you have arrived.
- Choose what to take, what to give away / sell / dump.
- Jot down the essentials that need to arrive before and with you.
- What items can be shipped to follow after your arrival time.
- What items need to arrive shortly after you do.
- Are there any special international shipping requirements (i.e. extra large items / antiques / vehicles).
- Now choose a good shipping company from the many international shipping companies out there
Finally, you are now in a much better position to find a shipping company, to have a quote prepared quickly and more accurately than before.
There are a lot of big, well-known shipping companies that specialise in international relocation transport. This is a list of the 15 biggest container shipping companies in the world, as listed by Alphaliner. They are ranked in order of the Twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) capacity of their fleet. Alphaliner constantly updates the ranks of the 100 largest container operators.
|Rank||Company||TEU capacity||Market share|
|1||A.P. Moller-Maersk Group||3,551,106||16.80%|
|2||Mediterranean Shipping Company||3,100,667||14.60%|
|4||China COSCO Shipping||1,804,132||8.50%|
|7||Orient Overseas Container Line||668,274||3.20%|
|8||Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation||585,078||2.80%|
|10||Mitsui O.S.K. Lines||544,504||2.60%|
|12||Pacific International Lines||372,938||1.80%|
|14||Hyundai Merchant Marine||351,556||1.70%|
Source: Alphaliner – TOP 100″. 2017-09-11. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
Contact a company consultant to talk about your shipping requirements and what they can offer. For example, what are their air freight options and what is their sea shipping container choices? Find lots of shipping quotes to compare them and to help you make a decision on the best fit for you.
Some things to think about:
- What is their quote and the deposit if any?
- How long do they say it will take? Can they move you within your needed timeframe?
- Is there insurance on offer?
- How can you track your goods? Who do you talk to about your items in transit?
- Will they handle all of the shipping admin?
- What are their terms and conditions?
- Now plan the timeline and manage the process
Currently you have chosen a shipping company and your packing lists are ready. Now create a timeline to see what happens next. Whatever you do, don’t procrastinate!
- Giving away, selling or dumping all items that you don’t want to move with.
- Vet inoculations and traveling schedule details for pets – drop off and destination pick up points.
- Packing, crating and collection of all items that the shipping company will move.
- Completion of removal and relocation contract and all administration required by the shipping company.
- Shipping deposit payments (if needed), confirmation of balance due date and any other conditions to the shipping payment in full.
- Now make contact with a shipping company representative about all of your concerns about your move.
- Travel itinerary and arrangements for all personal travel and transport to final destination.
- Lastly, create a contingency plan
Finally not everything always goes to plan all the time. For peace of mind, it is always good to budget for a relocation cost reserve. This will ensure that adequate insurance is in place. Make sure you are able to access a dedicated shipping company representative. Make sure that you can contact them directly on any issues pertaining to your relocation.
Don’t forget these questions when you are looking for international moving quotes.